Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mmmmmm Macaroons

The girls and I went for breakfast at Macaroon Cafe last week, and I tried my very first Macaroon.
(yes, for breakfast)

It was really delish, and I had a good look at this piece of art...

I have wanted to attempt making these babies since I saw them on Master Chef...
Upon my research, of the recipe and the actual Macaroon, I have decided to not make these myself and frequent Macaroon Cafe more often, and just buy them...

But for your reference, I have looked for a recipe just in case you would like to attempt them, and maybe one day I will too!!

The Macaroons from Macaroon Cafe

 Vanilla
Chocolate
Champagne


Recipe:    http://simply-delicious.co.za/2011/05/06/white-chocolate-raspberry-macarons-for-mothers-day/

White Chocolate & Raspberry Macaroons


Makes approximately 40 Macaron ‘sandwiches’

I know the measurements are very awkward but believe me, you want to get them right. So I suggest you use a digital scale when making these Macaroons.
 
230g (8.11 ounces) icing sugar
115g (4.06 ounces) ground almonds
144g (5.08 ounces) egg whites (approximately 4 large egg whites)
70g (2.47 ounces) caster sugar
3-4 drops gel food colouring
Filling
200g (7.05 ounces) white chocolate
50-70ml (2.37 fluid ounces) cream
100g (3.53 ounces) raspberries, chopped
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 140°c and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
  2. Process your ground almonds until fine. (South-African ground almonds tend to be too grainy)
  3. Sift the processed ground almonds with the icing sugar. Repeat. (yes, it is necessary to double-sift)
  4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
  5. Slowly add the caster sugar and beat for another 4-5 minutes until the mixture forms stiff peaks and it looks glossy.
  6. Add all of the almond mixture in and fold in. At first the mixture will look lumpy and strange but just keep folding.
  7. Place the mixture in a piping bag and carefully pipe small circles (I make mine about 2cm (0.79 inches)) onto the baking sheet. Don’t pipe them too close to one another as they will spread a little.)
  8. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they are just firm to the touch. Allow them to cool completely on the baking tray before carefully lifting them off.
  9. To make the filling, melt together the white chocolate and cream until smooth. Place in the fridge to set slightly and when thickened, mix in the raspberries. The mixture should be spreadable / pipeable.
  10. Place the mixture into another piping bag and pipe small circle onto the macaroons before gently sandwiching them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment